Continuing the relationship with Ursinus College established with the expansion and renovations of Pfahler Hall completed in 1999, Ellenzweig is providing master planning, programming, lab planning, and design of upgraded facilities for the sciences, including chemistry, biology, biochemistry, psychology, physics, neuroscience, environmental studies, mathematics and computer science, and core facilities including vivarium and greenhouse. The project includes renovation and expansion scenarios for Pfahler and Thomas Halls.
The first addition and renovation project to Pfahler Hall, a building originally constructed in 1932, provided classrooms, teaching and research laboratories, library and conference space, and offices to meet the needs of the Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics/Computer Science Departments. An existing, tablet-arm lecture hall was renovated into a tiered-floor, 95-seat lecture hall with continuous desks. Audio-visual systems include a video projector, projection room, multiple projection screens, and a variety of playback sources. Dimmable lighting and podium controls were provided along with sliding chalkboards and touch screen controls at the lectern.
The addition gave the building a new focus and presence on campus. A former exterior lightwell was transformed into a new three-story atrium space serving as lounge and visual connection for all three floors. A new central stairway and two new atrium spaces provide focal points and gathering spaces for the expanded facility, and encourage interaction among the faculty and students on all floors. The addition created a new entrance facing the existing Biology Building; the new entry connects to a campus-wide pedestrian pathway system.